Friday, 26 October 2012

Thunderbird oddity

I had a minor but really annoying issue with Thunderbird: every time I opened a message, it would search for the first occurence of "no" and select that. This meant that if that "no" was in the middle of the message I needed to scroll to top of message.

In the end the reason was simple enough, I had a quick filter set at some point (Ctrl-F), but I can't think of any other application that works quite this way (remembers the setting & applies it automatically).

Monday, 15 October 2012

Rendering issues with Google Chrome on Linux

This was driving me nuts. Things worked on a Windows box, but in Linux Google Chrome had lots of problems rendering web pages. Main issue were CSS layers which were partially transparent or otherwise incorrectly shown but I also had issues with showing the text I typed into some text boxes. I also had other random issues which I think had to do with AJAX, e.g. on RYM I could not add ratings because clicking the stars wouldn't show anything (well, I could do it blind). There were plenty of pages with these issues, some pages were all but rendered useless.

Finally I found a reason and a solution: the GPU accelarated renderer seems to be very buggy. You can disable this by --disable-accelerated-compositing to the command line parameters, and at least so far everything seems to work well!